History Of St. Marys Station

Railway fever came to St. Marys in 1857, when the small settlement had been an official village for only three years. The first station was a wooden building, built in 1879 on the Toronto-London line and located at the “Switch”. In 1907 the current brick station was built, and it has always meant a great deal to the people of St. Marys. After all, it took 50 years of effort and negotiations to get it built in the first place.

Train service was expected to bring more prosperity to the village: increased trade, a better grain market, growth of population and industry. St. Mary felt itself to be especially fortunate because it was at the junction point where the Grand Trunk would send an important branch line south to the growing city of London.
Upon learning that the St. Marys Station was likely to be demolished, the Town entered into an agreement with VIA Rail to acquire ownership of the station and assume responsibility for its maintenance. St. Marys also had to agree to maintain a ticket sales office and a waiting area within the station.

The Town of St. Marys undertook a complete restoration of the station and gratefully acknowledges the support of the Ministry of Transportation, the Ministry of Culture and Communication, and Via Rail.

The old station reopened officially on September 26, 1988, and is, once again, a source of pride for the Town of St. Marys.

The building currently contains the Station Gallery and the studios of Cameron Porteous and Reed Needles.